Daniel Amen – Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
- As your weight goes up, the actual physical size and function of your brain goes down.
- A healthy brain is happier, healther, wealthier, wiser, more creative, more flexible. An unhealthy brain is sadder, sicker, poorer, not as smart, rigid and inflexible.
- Even though the brain is only 2% of the body weight, it uses 20 – 30% of the calories you consume. The brain is the most expensive real-estate in the body. On average we lose 85,000 brain cells a day. And we can possibly accelerate the ageing process with our behaviour, or decelerate it!
- What hurts the brain, apart from brain injuries? Diabetes, drugs and alcohol, obesity, smoking, high blood pressure, SAD diet, environmental toxins, lack of exercise, ANTS.
- What enhances brain health? Positive social interactions, new learning, great diet, sleep, exercise, physical healthy, healthy anxiety, gratitude, meditating, ANT killing.
- Facts: Be wise about who you spend time with; they affect your longevity! If you spend time with people who have healthy habits, you pick them up too. You get overall lower blood flow to the brain if you get than 7 hours of sleep. Write 3 things you’re grateful for everyday for 3 weeks and you will notice a significant level of change in happiness. ANT killing means to not believe in every single stupid thought you have, question your thoughts and you’ll be more rationale.
- Good news is: All it takes is 2 months